Monday, June 16, 2008

Martha Stewart...take notes

I've saved this jewel of a picture frame for nearly 10 years. I never quite knew what to do with it, but I knew that one day, I would make something beautiful with it. That day came early last week. I don't even remember where the frame came from -- garage sale? Goodwill? freebie? -- but it has this beautiful shabby chic quality to it. The detailed molding that is coming off in many areas, is really what makes the frame, I think.



So when we moved into our new townhouse and needed a bulletin/note board in the foyer over the credenza table, I knew this frame had to be used. I had a roll of cork from somewhere (this is why I collect random stuff, hoard artsy things, and grab at freebies offered to me...because I see the potential) and purchased an inexpensive piece of plexi-glass at Lowes.
[SIDE NOTE: Plexi-glass is always a perfect substitution for real glass because not only is it WAAAAY cheaper, but you can also cut it yourself, so you can really make any dimensions you need]

Using a sturdy piece of cardboard as backing, I glued on the rolled cork and some old sheet music (more freebies!). After this had dried, I glued the plexiglass on top of the sheet music using Modge Podge to create a clear seal. Then, I placed the board into the frame and secured it with pin nails in the back. I also added bumpers to the back corners of the frame so that it wouldn't damage the wall and would protect the frame from getting scratched.

I added the hooks yesterday so that we could hang our keys on the board as well. So far its working out great and it looks really good in the space. Yay for fun crafting!

If anyone has any old frames they don't want...lemme know and I'll take them off your hands!
-K

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are great

Jeremy and Shelly said...

How cool! I love the frame! I see y'all have lots of those little 10 dollar off coupons for Lowes and the Bed Bath and Beyond coupons. When we first moved here, we got a good coupon like that every week, and now....nothing! Enjoy the perks of being a new resident =)