Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The Job Mob

After searching for over 4 months now for a Graphic Design job in the Seattle, WA area, I've learned a lot of lessons. Some of you may read this and say: YES. I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND YOU.....others, may start to snooze after this first paragraph and that's fine. Just make sure you grab a pillow or something because keyboard indentions on your forehead are currently not in fashion.

LESSON 1: There is no such thing as a Job Market.
I've found that its much less like a Market and rather more like a mosh pit. People swirling around shoving each other out of the way to get the one teensy little job thats currently open because the next one won't come along for another 2 or 3 years.

LESSON 2: Tell everyone you know how desperate you are to have a job.
The extiminator guy used to date a girl who's ex-husband worked for this company who's receptionist's daughter owned a business that was looking for someone to design a logo.

LESSON 3: Throw your standards out the window. Be flexible.
Realizing that you are not awesome is the first step to recovery...and for finding your hidden talent for flipping frozen beef patties.


Basically I am finding out that the job mosh-pit for graphic designers out here in the North West is SUPERBAD (not like the movie, I mean, it totally sucks). I have been fortunate enough to land two part-time jobs which gives me something to do, but let me put it this way: the creative store that I work at, there are 4 other graphic designers who are working here, some for a number of years. Paper Source is a landing pad for lost artists. Designers who have been cast to the side. And this is where I'm at.

God bless the South for loving and needing print graphic designers. I miss Atlanta. :(

No comments: