Friday, August 13, 2010

ONE TODAY


Exactly a year ago today, our little Jazz came into the world (the same day as our little friend, Madeline!). He was tiny, sweet smelling, and pure puppy goodness. When we first brought Jazz home, Davey and I took turns walking him, taking him out to potty, and feeding him. He was a little bundle of energy and fuzz, and would wobble and run and roll and fetch and chase until he was so worn out, that he had to be carried inside.

Jazz was the first of eight in his litter, so he has always had people and animals to play with. On one of our visits before we were able to bring him home, he gobbled up food with his brothers and sisters. Then, after everyone else was done, he climbed into the pan and licked it clean. He's always been a bit of a "goob". He became attached to us very quickly, especially me since I trained and cuddled him a bit more than Davey did (probably because I had never had a puppy before). He would usually end up a couple feet away from me, curled up in a little ball sleeping or quietly watching whatever it was that I was doing.

It's amazing to me how this creature can sense my moods, knows when I need an extra lick or nuzzle. He's a great companion, and truly a wonderful dog overall. I write all of this because, though it may seem odd, I have been reflecting on what a blessing pets are. God, in His goodness and wisdom, has given us the great priviledge of caring for and living with many of the animals He creating. It's wonderful to be able to interact with and take care of a pet, and its always refreshing to walk in the door to a being that is consistently filled with joy at my very presence -- tail waggin and happy eyes looking up at me. Whether you own a pet or not, I hope that you get the opportunity to be around animals every once in a while. They are truly good for the soul!

No comments: