Wednesday, September 29, 2010

PARTY #7 - PUMPKIN' CARVING

You would think that, being an artist, I would really get into pumpkin carving. But I usually don't even buy pumpkins, much less carve them, unless I get together with a few friends for a carving party. We had a great carving party in our backyard last year, so I thought it would be fun to host some friends again and let the orange-gooey-mess commence.

Pumpkin carving parties are always low-key for me; its more about goofing off with friends than actually carving pumpkins. I'm using email invitations this time around because it's quick, easy, and cheap --- party on a budget guys, remember?

Here's how they look:


I played off the idea of stabbing a pumpkin with a knife (aka carving) to add a little creepy, Halloween vibe -- but with humor. "Code 245" is the actual code for "assault with a deadly weapon" (don't ask me how I know that....okay, okay, so I just searched the internets).

Other than pumpkin carving set-up, the only other plans for the party are to provide drinks and yummy dessert treats. I also would like to roast the pumpkin seeds and package them up for people to take home as their favors. I've done salted and cinnamon/butter/sugar in the past.


Got any great Halloween desserts I could try making?
Have you ever roasted pumpkin seeds before? If so, do you use any unique seasonings?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The girls that live in the apartment upstairs from me in college always hosted a Pumpkin Carvin' on Black Saturday weekend at ASU (everyone wears black to the game). Anyway, since everyone has graduated, my roommates, myself and the girls from upstairs rent a cabin in Boone for Black Saturday. It's always a lot of fun. One year we made a 3D pumpkin cake, and my friend Ashlee has an amazing bean dip recipe that looks like a spider web. Lot's of fun can be had from Pumpkin Carvin' parties.

-Dennis

Kristen said...

sound like a lot of fun! i am very curious about this "spiderweb bean dip"....