Wednesday, February 3, 2010

THE SIMPLE LIFE

I can't be bothered with too many fussy, annoying beauty routines. I have to admit, I'm a tomboy at heart. I'm not into fake lashes or lining my lips. I get up an hour before I have to be at work. Yes, you read that correctly. Please don't hate me. My routine in the bathroom takes about 15 minutes, getting dressed takes about 5 minutes, and then I pack a bag of snacks, feed the furry kids and get in my car and drive the 15 minutes to work. It's like clockwork, most of the time (assuming one of my furry children hasn't barfed up their breakfast or has somehow managed to get lost in our little backyard). I know that in telling you this I am both admitting that I'm not exactly a morning person, and that I don't spend much time on primping or looking too perfect.

With that being said, I have learned some secrets to simplifying my routine. Here are few for starters:

SHOWER AT NIGHT. Not only do you get into bed feeling wonderfully clean, you don't have to waste your time in the morning. I admit, waking up by taking a shower works pretty well for me, but I'm always tempted to linger for a looooong time under a hot stream of water. I like to shower at night if I can help it.

KEEP IT SIMPLE. Getting dressed in 5 minutes isn't too difficult for me because, quite frankly, I am not really over-the-top with fashion. I have a good collection of go-to pieces that can mix and match. It also helps that I can dress pretty biz-casual for my job. Picking out your outfit the night before is such a "mom" thing to do, but mom's right, it really takes the stress off figuring out what to wear in five minutes, plus if you have a spouse that sleeps in while you get ready, its much quieter just getting dressed instead of rambling through closets and drawers. I usually wear a simple skirt or jeans with some semi-stylish top. Then on my way out the door I grab a scarf and top it off with some boots or heels.

CUT THE EXTRAS. When it comes to my bathroom routine in the morning, I am sure you are wondering how I can possible get in and out in only 15 minutes. Well, I start by brushing my teeth, then I apply what I like to call my "natural makeup" regime. As for my hair, since I shower at night, all I have to do is touch it up in the morning. This means some volumizing spray, a quick upside down blow-dry and if I'm feeling up to it, a little touch-up with the flat iron.

AU NATURAL. My daily approach to makeup is fairly simple. I like a natural, clean look, with just a little bit of color that highlight my features. I use just a few products that apply easily and quickly, but always put me out the door looking fresh and naturally beautiful.


What kind of morning routines do you have? Any shortcut tricks you use to get out the door faster?

2 comments:

Davey said...

Oh. My. Goodness.

My wife is up to something with this post. She is trying to go over the top with the girly posts so that either I have no choice but to start doing my own posts to even everything out or to get me to leave this virtual space and never come back.

It's a tough decision.

Kristen said...

What does it matter? :P

Everyone knows you take longer to get ready than I do (although, I'll give you props that you are usually more prepared for things because you take longer)