First, let me say that I don't drink coffee, so moving to the coffee capital of the U.S. held no real excitement for me. Now, having been around the coffee craze for a while, I'm appalled at just how crazy it is. Some people here have four or five cups of coffee...before lunch! And not just adults! There are coffee pots at the middle school -- for the students! Some of the kids in our church have a cup of coffee at home for breakfast and then another cup when they get to school. Problem? Yes, I think so.
With that said, I was standing in line at Starbucks (for a cup of ice) and got behind a mother and her six-year-old daughter getting ready to give their order to the barista. When I first came behind them they were talking about what to do if a stranger offers you candy --- a GOOD lesson for kids to learn at that age. Then, I guess the mom realized someone was behind her (me) and decided to order:
MOTHER: Alright honey, lets go ahead and order
DAUGHTER: I want a cookie. Chocolate chip.
MOTHER: Well, tell the lady what you want
DAUGHTER: I'll have a chocolate chip cookie and coffee...
MOTHER: No, I'll have an iced mocha latte, 4 equal with an extra shot
BARISTA: Okay
MOTHER to daughter: Can you say that? 'Iced Mocha'
DAUGHTER repeats: 'iced mocha'
MOTHER to daughter: '4 equal'. that means 4 packets of equal sugar
DAUGHTER repeats: '4 equal'
MOTHER to daughter: 'with an extra shot'. that means more strong coffee
DAUGHTER repeats: 'with an extra shot'. "Iced mocha latte, 4 equal with an extra shot"
MOTHER: good job!
SERIOUSLY!?!?!?! You were just teaching your child an excellent life lesson and you transition into THIS?
Monday, June 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment