Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Run, Forest, Run!

Let me start off by saying that I am not a runner. I am not a runner.
Short legs. Bum knee. Asthma. I've got excuses....lame ones....but I've got them. Even if given a shot of adrenaline, I'm pretty sure I'd still be a ridiculously slow runner.

Okay, so, with that out of the way....
Davey and I ran a 5k in downtown Seattle: The Seafair Torchlight Run/Walk.
That last word is what got me into this mess....."walk". "Great", I said....."sign me up!". I've got legs and I can certainly walk at a brisk pace. No problem. We actually signed up with 6 of our friends just as summer began - $6.00 each.....and you get a t-shirt! (again, here I was totally fine. Sign me up!)

Then my husband decides that we are actually going to train for the Run/Walk. Um....okay. Pretty sure I could train to walk 3.1 miles at the mall. But noooooo, Davey runs ahead of me down our street and up the hill and I trudge on alone. An hour later, we meet back at the house and I'm tired and sore........from walking. Meanwhile, Davey's been waiting for half an hour, wondering when dinner will be ready. With that being said, you must understand that Davey is a good runner. Again, Davey is a good runner. He actually likes running?!?!?! This scenario played out several times.

We trained for about two weeks (we are so dedicated) and then finally headed to strut our stuff at the Torchlight Run. We met up with our friends after going through registration, getting our bibs, our shoe tags (that would magically time us), and getting our t-shirts ("great! can i go home now?"). After much anticipation, excitement, and a ridiculously long line for the port-o-potties, we headed to the starting line. Then we were off - all 2,000 of us.....including me....running (srsly) just behind one of my friends who kept a pretty decent pace. Then......I was walking. Buh bye friends......see ya at the finish line.......maybe......unless the you're-too-slow-bus comes to pick me up first.

Everyone did really well. Davey achieved his goal (which he won't let me post for some reason, but I'll have to admit he did really really well. stupid long legs.) I also achieved my goal!!! HOORAY!! I wasn't picked up by the bus! I actually ran/walked 3.1 miles in under 45 minutes. Please be impressed.

Post-race pic. Check out #2099 behind us. Classic!

When it was all over, we all went out for pizza and drinks (to recover all the calories we had just burned). All in all, I have to say the experience was really fun and it was something completely new for me, and also a challenge. However, I had no running epiphanies, no great strides of fitness greatness (pun intended), and absolutely no change in my level of dislike for running. Did I mention that I am not a runner? Mad props to all of you that have running skills.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Great job. I am impressed with the 45 minutes. Cooper and I only get about 1.5 miles in 45 minutes on our walks!