Boys beware this is gonna be a blog about fashion, so you may not want to read it, okay?
Of course I waited until the END of the summer to find a bathing suit – particularly a bikini for a certain upcoming trip that will be discussed later. Needless to say, because it’s the end of summer the pickings were slim. I’ve spent the last month or so looking at high end and low end stores, checking out athletic supply stores and online sales. I even started getting creative and trying to find alternative forms of clothing that could substitute for a swimsuit (i.e. workout clothing). This may start to sound like I’m picky – but I’m really not. I just want a swimsuit that covers all the necessary areas completely and doesn’t shift to inappropriate places when I want to run, jump, swim or play.
Its pretty challenging, and more challenging than I think it should be. The biggest challenge: finding a swimsuit that has more material in it, than that of a sock.
When did I become my mother?
Actually, when did I become my father? He’s the one who’s been concerned for the past 15 years that I wear a swimsuit that actually has “coverage”.
They don’t make swimsuits like that anymore. Now granted if I was a grandma, there are more than plenty Moo-Moo bathing suits to choose from. Some very stylish, but I’m not there yet. The Moo-Moos will have to wait. Apparently my body type is not average size for fashion designers to consider. “Average” size now is a 6 foot bean-pole with no humps.
I visited some pretty notable off the rack stores: JC PENNY, J Crew, Target, PacSun, Wal-Mart and everyone seems to agree that a 3x3 piece of material is sufficient to wear out in public.
I don’t remember having this problem earlier in life (and I’ve never been a humpless bean-pole). So I have to question is it me or is it culture. I gotta go with culture on this one, based on my research. Its skinny jeans culture: skinny jeans are in. skinny jeans are cute, I agree. However, you cannot wear skinny jeans if you have a butt. Trust me, I’ve done research in this area too. So, you won’t see me wearing skinny jeans, and you won’t see me wearing a 3x3 bikini == sorry boys (wow, I’m amazed you’re actually reading this post! Don’t say I didn’t warn you.)
I am just very frustrated with the fashion industry and its lack of common sense. If you’re going to the beach, you’re going to be out in public. You’re also probably going to be participating in some kind of physical activity – boating, skiing, wakeboarding, swimming, etc. I’d like to be able to move in my swimsuit and not have to worry about certain areas being exposed. I don’t think that’s too much to ask for….but apparently for this Summer 2009 fashion season, it is.
I would like to thank Emily-the-jean-folder at the Bellevue Square Macy’s store for rescuing me and for helping me find TWO bikinis that are decent and actually COVER everything. Out of 300 or so bathing suits still left after the summer rush, only TWO had more material than a sock. I’m so excited! Not only do I have two beautiful bikinis, but I got them both for less than $60.00 – AND one of them is reversible, so technically I got three swimsuits for cheap! Finally – some common sense at a great price!
1 comment:
Yes my sister. I had this same journey about a month ago but I was looking for a tankini top and still could not find enough coverage. For such a "humps" obsessed cuture, they sure make clothes for those without them. However, Dicks Sporting Goods finally rescued me!!
Post a Comment