We began the turkeyfest on Wednesday night with our friend Matt who lives in Seattle. Matt is a fraternity brother of Davey’s who moved out here this past summer because he got a job at, where else, Microsoft. Matt was hosting a Thanksgiving dinner for his community group from church and invited us to join. I gotta say, for a bachelor, Matt sure knows how to put on a spread. He made the most amazing potatoes that had cornflakes on top! YUM! We enjoyed getting to meet some of Matt’s friends from church and seeing his new place in Seattle.
Thursday we had an early dinner at our pastors home with his family and few other friends. They were so sweet to take pity on Davey and I, thinking we’d have nothing to do for Thanksgiving. We had lunch at their home last Christmas day since we straggled then as well. We really enjoy gathering with church folk around the holidays, and its always a good reminder of what a wonderful church family we are blessed with out here!
Following our early dinner, we traveled to Mary&Micahel’s house for a late dinner complete with turkey, dressing and all the trimmings. Mary’s folks were in town, so we actually had a larger crowd than what we had last year for "stragglers" Thanksgiving. We took Jazz with us to meet their dog Marley, who was not too pleased about having another dog in his house. They had a little tussle and Jazz received his first “bigger dog” beating which scared me to death. But, I held it together, left Jazz to sort it out for himself and then played with him to take both our minds off the fact that another dog had just attacked him. Marley really is a sweetheart, but he doesn’t take too kindly to other animals invading his home. Jazz left with a scratch on his nose that healed pretty quickly, and we left with our bellies full of yummy food.
Friday morning we got up early (for a holiday) and headed to west Seattle to see the Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade with some friends. It was a pretty cool deal seeing a parade in downtown, but there were no impressive balloons like the ones they have in NY. It was cool to see, but next year I think I’ll sleep in.
Saturday I ran some errands, but I had strict instructions to be back to the house by 3pm so I could start getting ready for a “big surprise date” that Davey had planned: The Nutcracker!!!!! I must confess I’ve been an obnoxious wife this past year about going to see a show – The Lion King, Catch Me If You Can, and Wicked all came through town and every time I bugged Davey to death about getting us tickets. Those shows came and went and I missed every single one of them. So, when Davey told me he was taking me to the Nutcracker, I was on the brink of tears!! We had an delicious dinner at Prelude, then we explored McCaw Hall and all the Nutcracker set-ups and gift shop. When we went to find our seats we took a pit stop at the orchestra pit (no pun intended) to check out the instruments. I told Davey he could go on to our seats and that I would just watch the show from just-in-front of the orchestra pit, “I’m sure the people behind me in the front row won’t mind”, I said. “I’m sure they won’t”, said Davey, ”because we’re the ones sitting there." WHAT?!?!?! HOLD UP!?!?! Not only did my amazing husband finally relent to take me to a show, but he got us front row seats?!?!?! AH-MAZING!! <3
As for the ballet itself, I was really impressed. I’m good for a ballet once every five years or so, its not something I really understand, so its easy for me to overlook moves and skills that take years to perfect. What I do understand is set design, and the Pacific Northwest Ballet had Maruice Sendak (author and illustrator of Where The Wild Things Are) design the sets and costumes for their Nutcracker production. I was blown away at how subtle the colors were and how the sets made the stage look like a pop-up book. Even the tree growing to a HUGE scale, was impressive. Sendak did an amazing job creating a new Nutcracker world. Needless to say, we had a great time and I am so thankful to my wonderful hubby for such a sweet treat – including the drive-thru at Dairy Queen on the way home so I could get a Blizzard.

Now that the holidays are in full swing, I’m in great spirits to see what the rest of 2009 has in store for us!
1 comment:
That sounds great!
Post a Comment