Wednesday, July 21, 2010

DO SOMETHING

I'm not really a soapbox person and I'm certainly not a very political person. I don't watch the news, I don't read a newspaper, and I rarely look at the headlines on the web. Call me lazy, call me ignorant, but this is how I've chosen to deal with an ever-more-negative newsreel. However, when there is a story or event that makes its way to me through many of the other forms of media that I ascribe to (most of them social), that catches my attention, I start hunting for news on that particular topic. This happened recently with the BP Oil Spill.

I read a ton of articles, I watched several videos and I listened to rants on the radio - all from various sides of the argument. I won't deny that this disaster, this accident, really makes me angry and frustrated. As I told Davey, "it makes me want to just slap someone in the face!"

But after I let that initial wave of anger subside, I find myself filled with concern and the need to move into action.....to...... do something. But what can I do? Not only am I one person in a world of bajillions, but I'm over 3,000 miles away from the situation, so its not like I can just swim down there and stuff that leaking hole with silly putty all by myself (which is the only solution my non-engineering brain could come up with). On the other hand, I can't just sit comfortably at my desk, look at photos like the ones below, and do NOTHING.




images found here

And then, there are wonderful websites like If It Was My Home, that help the average person - like me - put this whole disaster into perspective. Below is an image of what the oil spill would look like if it happened in Seattle.
That means all of the bald eagles that live near me could be covered in oil. It also means that I would have to cancel all of my camping trips this summer, because they're all planned within that covered area.

I also appreciate the author's attitude in the way he is using this website to communicate. There's no anger, no blame, just the facts of where we are and what we need to do about it. Which is exactly how I feel.

I'll leave the arguing and finger-pointing to those more politically aware than I am. I will also leave the solution for stopping the leak to those more engineeringly(?) aware than I am (since Silly Putty is all I could come up with). But I feel like I can do something to help with the clean up effort because thats what hits my heart the most - the wildlife that is being affected by human error. According to ifitwasmyhome.com, "There are over 400 different species of animals living in the area affected by the spill". You can read more about confirmed wildlife inhabiting the oil spill area at NOAA's website.

I've decided my something will be donating $100 to the National Wildlife Federation. Not a huge something by any means, but its what I have to give. This won't be any extra $100 I have laying around either (because, seriously, I don't have that laying around). This money will be a sacrifice -- money I would normally spend on myself for clothes, entertainment, or stuff. This is how you not only give to help others, but you also give to yourself when you give something sacrificially. Its confusing, and doesn't make sense, but it truly works and that's why its so awesome.

"God waits for you to act first. Don't wait to feel powerful or confident. Move ahead in your weakness, doing the right thing in spite of your fears and feelings. This is how you cooperate with the Holy Spirit, and it is how your character develops." - Rick Warren

Another something I can do is tell others about what is going on (i.e. this post) and encourage them to do something about it (this last part). This is where my fears and feelings get in the way, because I'm also not one to tell someone else how they should live their life, but I'm gonna do it anyway: So I challenge you, to "move ahead in your weakness" and do something. I don't care if its to help clean up the oil spill or not, figure out what issues are tugging at your heart to help and do something about it. Even if that one thing is telling someone else about what you care about. Heck, you could even tell me about it! Leave a comment, and who knows, I might just start doing my own research and feel moved to do something about your something...

No comments: