Wednesday, April 14, 2010

MA NOUVELLE TABLE

TA-DA!!! Here's our new kitchen table, in all her glory:


I know some of you are thinking, wow, Kristen, two whole posts about your kitchen table. Its not that big of a deal. Well, you spend 8 hours of one of the rare sunny days (a Saturday I might add) sanding this table top to bottom (and a leaf that's not shown) until your hand falls off, THEN spend the next rare sunny day (ANOTHER Saturday) painting and staining it for 5 hours, AND THEN seal the entire thing with a clear coat of protectant the next clear day (oh, wait, yes...another Saturday) and tell me you're not proud to show this little lady off.

I used Minwax Polyshade (stain and polyurethane in one): Bombay Mahogany Gloss to stain the top of the table and Behr Cottage White to paint the bottom of it. I then went back over the white and distressed the highlight areas, using some of the stain over the exposed areas to match the top of the table.

During this process I also realized that the table was never fully built because two of the claw foot legs have not been fully carved. Here you can see a completed one



And one that was started (with quick notches), but never finished.


Its not noticeable (obviously I didn't realize it until after a year of owning the thing), but I love that character about her.

She was worth it. She is beautiful. Here she is a little gussied up (with some new chair covers that are in desperate need of finishing on the bottom -- any ideas? I was thinking lace or ruffled linen?):



I'm ready for some entertaining....who wants to come over for dinner?

2 comments:

tom said...

Awesome. You and Meghan and your furniture refining.

Not me, but glad you gals are into it ;)

Kristen said...

Tom - you and Davey are in the same boat. He doesn't understand why I keep needed to change things all the time because "they're fine as they are".

Meghan - I know you'll back me up on this... I need to change things around because it gets boring. And I am not okay with boring. :)