Thursday, June 24, 2010

FUNCAKES

I love the few Saturday mornings when Davey and I get to sleep in - especially in the winter because it stays dark outside until 10Am. Second only to getting some extra "Zzzz's", the best part about Saturday mornings are the pancakes! Nothing beats a good stack of carbs and fruit, drizzled with butter, syrup, and/or whipped cream. I mean, you basically get to have dessert for breakfast, and you know I'm down with that! Davey likes his "silver dollar" sized so he can eat them with his hands -- and sop up all the extra syrup. I like mine saucer-sized so I can stack and layer them with other goodness, like chocolate chips or fruit.

I found Jim's Pancakes website through some blog rolling, and immediately fell in love with the combination of art and food! He's so creative, and apparently has a pretty steady hand. After checking out all his talent, I decided I wanted to give creative pancaking a try. I mentioned this to Justin & Jennifer on our trip to Portland, and when we met up the other night they had a special gift for me:
my very own, pancake batter dispenser!


I make our pancake batter from ready-mix, so there's always some lumps (which is okay for pancake batter). I had to trim off the top part of the tip to make sure I had a steady flow. Some lumps still got caught in the tip, but I was able to squeeze them out pretty easily.

Here's my first attempt - just some simple smiley faces. Playing with my food makes me so happy!

Round 2: Davey's pancake goes "RAWRRRRRR!!!"

And that was it. I ran out of batter because I only made enough for the two of us to eat and that dinosaur is pretty huge (it hung off the edge of the plate). Oh well, maybe next time I'll be smart enough to invite some people over for pancakes so I can practice more. Maybe, one day, I'll be good enough to make celebrity portrait pancakes, like this:



How do you like your pancakes? What fun shapes would you make your pancakes?

No comments: