I absolutely love trees. I have a soft spot in my heart for trees. I love their deep symbolic meaning, the flow of branches, the unique characteristics of each type of tree, their strength and the magic of how they come to exist from something so small. Over the past couple of years I've become somewhat of a "tree collector", and because of their immense popularity right now in the design world, I've had to hold myself back quite a bit from purchasing everything "tree-ey".
When I see a tree, whether in nature, on a pillow, on a canvas or in a photo, I think of this moment:

This is Davey and I's wedding tree that we planted almost two years ago on our wedding day. We had an outdoor wedding and our "logo", if you will, for our wedding was this tree:

Which has become a very popular print item at Gaiam.com
(I couldn't help myself and bought the whole set!)
(I couldn't help myself and bought the whole set!)
The minister (my dad) talked about trees in our ceremony, about our family trees that were joining, our family tree that would grow someday when we had kids, and cited some scripture that talked about trees -- my favorite being Psalm 1:3. He then suprised us with our wedding tree, saying that we would plant it following the ceremony... and that's what we did. We planted a little Kwanza cherry tree in the middle of a farm, on a beautiful day in Cleveland, GA. The owner of Neverland Farms still sends us updates on how our tree is doing -- it survived its first winter, so now it will live strong and hopefully have some beautiful blooms this spring.
For our 1st Anniversary last April, I bought this necklace for myself (I'm sure Davey would have bought if for me if he had seen it first). I love wearing it and wear it often.

I have to adjust the chain multiple times a day, which is usually an obnoxious thing about necklaces, but its fine with me on this one because every time I adjust it I think about Davey and our wedding tree. That's some sweet *mushy* lovin' right there....just soak it in....yeah.
I stumbled upon this post of 21 Impressive Tree Images at Digital Photography School which gave me warm fuzzies inside. This one is my favorite:

I also love when trees are used as decorative elements in the home. I would love to have any of these (all from uncommongoods.com):

Hopefully I've conveyed my tree obsession and the deep love I feel for my husband and family when I see one. Do you have a favorite tree? Any amazing tree stories to share? Are trees TOO popular nowadays?
4 comments:
I think that you guys planting a tree on your wedding day was a cool (and unique) idea.
I also dig the post here. It's stuff like this that I dunno if it'd ever come up in conversation, but now know.
Finally, I do have a favorite tree but it's a complete cliche. It's a Christmas tree. I know. Laugh at me.
But since you asked, my answer is two-fold: the natural scent of the tree is just awesome. It brings a new scent into the house for a few weeks each year.
Secondly, it's representative of so much. It's when the year is winding down, where we spend time with our families and friends, and it's (well, for some of us, at least) synonymous with Jesus.
There's nothing negative about it and all the positives are of so much variety. I dig it.
I am also crazy about trees. My living room is slowly morphing into the tree motif...
Have you ever heard, "Up in My Tree," by Pearl Jam? It helped me through High School :).
"Up here in my tree, ya. Newspapers matter not to me, no."
You know, if you like Eddie Vedder's voice :).
You must check out this book by Diana Wells, called "The Lives of Trees: And Uncommon History". Actually, Will told me about it, from an interview on NPR (see link below). Anyway, it looks amazing and interesting...its a book of the whats and whys of types of trees. Enjoy!
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=122294877&ft=1&f=1033
Trees are awesome. I'm so glad you all agree. I'm definitely going to check that book out, thanks Em!
Post a Comment