Friday, January 8, 2010

WEIRD SCIENCE

I received this wonderful book for Christmas


Granted, I'm only halfway through the first chapter, but I absolutely love learning about animals. They all are such a big mystery to me, and even the less-cute ones I'm interested in knowing at least something about them (perhaps, why are they not cute?).

I've never been much of a science person, and I'm definitely not a math person, so I'm really surprising myself by how much I'm getting sucked into words like "oxytocin". Oxytocin is a hormone that sends signals to the brain and apparently it plays a huge role in how we initiate and maintain interest and bond with other animals. So when I get a "high" from hugging friends, holding kittens, and rubbing doggy ears, this is the stuff that helps get me there. Our levels of oxytocin double while we are petting our dogs, so I hereby consider lying on the floor and rubbing Jazz's belly as "working out". Oxytocin also helps to strengthen our immune system, increase the speed of healing, and give us the enhanced ability to read the facial expressions of others.

Attentive.



Distracted.



See, my ability has been enhanced already!



1 comment:

Kravey said...

Have you read this book? It would be a good one to add to your list. I'm so thankful God created weird stuff like oxytocin. I love that "awww" feeling.

You totally should get them certified. They are a great size to do that with.